Urinalysis done. Found presence of wbc and epithelial cell. Should I be concerned?

Sep 2012

Age 65 female with urinalysis testing results indicating:
WBC Esterase 3+ and WBC >30 Epithelial cells (renal) 0-10 plus casts and crystals present. tests shows all 5 items as abnormal; my doctor said everything looks the same as prior test and no medication. Should I be concerned?
Posted Thu, 18 Apr 2013 in X-ray, Lab tests and Scans
Answered by Dr. Das Arindam 29 minutes later

Thank you for posting a query.

Look, your urine examination report indicates WBC esterase and WBC > 30. It indicates an infection in urinary tract. Because we clinically take WBC > 5 as a cut off value for infection.

Increased renal epithelial cells also supports possibility of infection. Casts and crystals are also indicative of the same condition.

So, overall this report is very much indicative of an infection in the genitourinary tract.

You should consult with urologist for a detailed clinical examination and also for clinical correlation of the report. Because, a report is complete only when it is correlated with clinical findings.

In case of clinical suspicion of urinary tract infection, a broad spectrum antibiotic like ciprofloxacin should be taken. After completion of the antibiotic course, repeat the test.

Hope this information suffices. Let me know, if you have any more question.