Urinalysis came back negative with the exception of Occult Blood. Scheduled for a Cystoscopy. Why anxiety?

Excellent

Psychiatrist
Question
Doctor, all my my tests as they relate to my urinalysis came back negative with the exception of Occult Blood which showed a +1 and a "few bacteria" present. I originally went to my GP for Hermastospermia, and after this was referred to a Uroligist. Both Drs feel that it may be an abrasion in the urinary track due to sexual activity or other related trauma. I have been tested for Prostate Cancer and my PSA levels are normal. My question is this: considering that all other levels in my Urinalysis (color, ph, nitrate, ph, protein, rbc, wbc, ketenos, etc) all came back negative or with in normal range, is it logical to assume that there are no other infections/diseases in my kidneys or bladder which is what currently has me more nervous. Yes I am scheduled for a Cystoscopy and Renal Sonogram (the Uroligist says that this is procedure rather that outright suspicions, he has also ran a Cytology test in my last urine sample). So, back to point one, the blood that appears in my urine is more watery that thick red blood and in my semen is more like small streaks or tiny red/pink points, I never see outright blood in my urine, and it seems to me like they could be the remnants or some sort of abrasion in the end of my urinary tract, my main anxiety is my worry about my kidneys, even though my urinalysis does not indicate any infections and all levels are within normal range. Sorry for the blabbering and back and forth I would just like to know if I am missing something here (beyond the obvious answer that a Cystoscopy would put all doubts to rest) but a person with Generalized Anxiety Disorder doesnt really register such advice. P.S. I monogamous and tested negative for STD's as well in my last tests. I would appreciate any anxiety calming response.
Posted Fri, 5 Apr 2013 in Mental Health

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 2 hours later
Thanks for choosing health care magic for posting your query.
I went through your stated problem in detail and would really appreciate the way you have discussed the problem in such elaborate details. Yes, you are right that you are being too anxious about your problem. Hematospermia is present in many people, although it is rarely reported to a doctor- owing to casualness or stigma. With all your urine analysis coming normal, rest assured, you are probably not suffering from any serious illness. The last investigation of cystoscopy will put to rest any remaining suspicion. many times hematospermia can be idiopathic, with no cause apparent. It doesn't mean that you are suffering from any big illness. The trauma they are talking about is probably down the urine tract and no way to the level of kidneys.
I think you can be comfortable with the idea that nothing important is missing out here, and you need not panic.
Hope I am able to answer your concerns.
If you have any further query, I would be glad to help you.
If not, you can close the discussion and rate the answer accordingly.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link:
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Follow-up: Urinalysis came back negative with the exception of Occult Blood. Scheduled for a Cystoscopy. Why anxiety? 8 hours later
Thank you Doctor for your response,
Can the same be said about my bladder as it relates to my negative
Urinalysis (of course pending the cystoscopy) meaning would negative results in my urinalysis also indicate a healthy bladder.
Thank you and this will be my final answer, your response has been excellent
Best regards
EGC

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 43 minutes later
Thanks for your followup query.
Yes,the same can be said about your bladder as well.
Best of luck for your cystoscopy. I am sure even this test will come normal.
bit.ly/dr-srikanth-reddy

Wish you good health,
Dr. Srikanth Reddy M.D.

Follow-up: Urinalysis came back negative with the exception of Occult Blood. Scheduled for a Cystoscopy. Why anxiety? 26 minutes later
Thank you Doctor. I hope in evaluating your andwer you did not miss my comment about occult blood in the urinalysis and some bloody watery remant that sometimes is present after my urination.
Again fist rate in your answer and needless to say humane and kind in your respose

Answered by Dr. Srikanth Reddy 33 minutes later
Hello again,
No, I have not missed out your comment about the occult blood in urinalysis and some bloody watery remnant that sometimes present after your urination. I understand that you do have hematurea along with hematospermia. Still if all the tests are negative, then it is idiopathic and then you need not worry as most of the grave and serious causes have been ruled out.
Dont worry, everything will be fine and you are probably in safe hands of your treating doctor.
Dr. Srikanth Reddy