Uri/obgyn issue, overweight, incontinence, bloating, painful bladder.Worried of cancer.Please advice.

May 2013
Hi, I have a uri/obgyn issue. It is a longstanding problem which has gotten worse. I am a 39 year old female with one son. I don't smoke or drink but am quite overweight. In August of 2011 I began having spotting between periods. After still having the issue every month, I began to experience bad cramping with it at the same time for days.

At the start of this year I saw my gp who referred me to a obgyn. It took some time to get the appointment (I live in the UK). About a month before the appointment I started having bladder pain and continual incontinence. I had some incontinence before since the birth of my son 6 years ago, but it was minor and only now and again. The obgyn found growth on my cervix, took a biopsy and then made an appointment to freeze the growth off and for me to have a scan at a later date as he wasn't too worried.

Before the next appointment I began having worse cramping, constant naseua as though pregnant, and bloating, though the incontinence did improve. After my appointment for the bladder freezing, I have since had continued incontinence and a painful bladder, along with the naseua still and pains. I recently saw the nurse as my bladder became quite bad and she put me on cefadoxil. I finished the meds but since yesterday started urinating some light blood now and again.

I saw the doctor today about this and she did not seem concerned as she tested my urine, though at that time I did not have the blood. Tonight I have again had more blood, a bit darker, and bladder pain. I am worried, as to if I could have something very serious and that waiting until my scan later this month may be a bit too long. Of course terrible thoughts occur to me, cancer being my biggest fear. I am hoping for some further advice on how to proceed, if to proceed, or to worry. Thank you for all your help.
Posted Fri, 22 Jun 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later

thanks for the query.

-pain and spotting in between periods can be seen in some women, that condition is called mittelsmerz syndrome.
if that is only the problem no need to worry, treatment is necessary only when it is troublesome.

but the further problems you got are worth concern.

you mentioned that biopsy of cervix was taken but didn't mention the what is the report.

anyhow according to your symptoms the possibilities are,
-urinary tract infection: severe urinary tract infection can present with pain abdomen, pain during urine passage, incontinence, nausea and vomiting, sometimes blood in urine etc.

-bladder endometriosis: this condition can present with blood in urine, pain abdomen, nausea etc.

-in case of difficult labor fistulous connection between bladder and genital tract can establish leading to incontinence of urine.

-cervical growth can lead to all these symptoms. But don't worry this is rare.

you wait for the reports of scan, urine microscopy, culture and sensitivity, report of cervical biopsy, all these collectively can possibly find out the cause, depending on that treatment can be taken.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.