Ask a Urologist   »  

Urge to urinate, frequent urination, prescribed Klonopin for OCD. Had external beam radiation for prostate cancer

I have prostate cancer .Had extrenal beam radiation which brought my PSA from 6.6 to .06 in less then two months. Most of my side affects from the Radiation have ended. The one I still have a problem with is that I feel like I need to urinate when I don't , not urgent ,but just a unconfortable feeling which makes to very anxious and what to try to urinate when I know I don't need to. Then if I can't urinate I get the feeling that there is a problem and kinda panic. After awhile it goes away and then I start to get frequent urination. I guess from drinking a lot trying to make my self go. This is what my DR said ia a form of OCD. Was given Klonopin which works some times . Any other ways you feel I could deal with this wierd problem.
Posted Tue, 4 Sep 2012 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Answered by Dr. Raju A.T 4 hours later

Its a common symptom experienced in patients with post radiotherapy status for prostate.This occurs due to constant irritation of the prostatic and membranous urethra.

I do not consider it to be a form of OCD.Klonopin would not be necessary, as the effect could be temporary. All you need is to wait , it may take months sometimes a year or more for this sensation to disappear.Drinking lots amount of water will surely reduce this feeling over time.There is no mechanical or medicinal treatment for such an irritative symptom.

Hope I answered your query.

Wish you good health.