Urge to urinate after intercourse. Testing negative for chlamydia and gonorrhea. What is wrong?

I have peeing sensation after sex or sometimes during sex and normally it doesnt happen but today there's a light pink drop of blod My period just came 2 weeks ago. and about 2 months ago I got checked out for both chlamydia and gornorea and I'm clean. I've been with the same person and he's faithful. What's wrong?
Sometimes I feel like peeing during sex but I won't pee and I've been peeing a lot in the past few days. This has never happened before. I'm sexually active.
Posted Wed, 8 May 2013 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 53 minutes later

Your symptoms suggest that you could be suffering from urethritis and this is causing the sensation to pass urine during and soon after intercourse. This happens when there is trauma during intercourse and an infection is not usually present. There is sometimes presence of blood in urine. It is also known as 'Honeymoon cystitis'. It usually subsides after sometime with symptomatic treatment. You would need a urinary antispasmodic.

As you had your period two weeks ago, another reason for the spotting could be ovulation bleed if you are not on any ovulation inhibiting medication.

I would suggest that you see a nephrologist for an evaluation of the bladder function and the presence of any infection. You may need an urinary antibiotic if infection is detected. Increased bladder activity may be seen in the presence of an infection, during early pregnancy, in cold weather, increased intake of beverages, use of certain medications etc.

It is also advisable to abstain from intercourse until the symptoms subside as they may recur and persist with further trauma.

Hope I have answered your query. Please feel free to contact, if you need further clarifications. I will be happy to help.

Follow-up: Urge to urinate after intercourse. Testing negative for chlamydia and gonorrhea. What is wrong? 19 minutes later
How do I prevent getting UTI again?
Answered by Dr. Shanti Vennam 29 minutes later

Thanks for writing back.

Presently, you should get examined by a specialist and take advice. You should take plenty of fluids and abstain from intercourse for the time being in order to get relieved of the symptoms totally and quickly. Please do not worry, the possibility of recurrence is remote if proper precautions are taken in the first instance. Please take fresh fruits and fruit juices. It is possible that your condition is just symptomatic and you may not have any infection at all.

Hope I have clarified your query. Please get back if you have any more queries. I will be ready to help.