Urethra itching, white discharge from penis. Taken flagyl, doxycycline. Is this chlamydia or trichomoniasis?

Took vacation in Thailand about 6 weeks ago. 2 weeks ago I became symptomatic with urethra itching and a very small amount of white discharge from the penis. No other associated symptoms. Small amount of discharge on my underwear and a small amount of visible discharge in the mornings.
I gained access to 7 day cycle of Flagyl (500mg/twice day) and Doxycycline (100mg/twice day). Can I take these medications together.
I'm in a very isolated area and unable to get verified testing to confirm whether it's chlamydia or Trichomoniasis.
Can I take both Flagyl and Doxy together twice daily for 7 days?
Posted Sun, 15 Jul 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 5 hours later
Dear Patient,
The history given by you suggests that you might be suffering from gonorhoea.
The two conditions mentioned by you presents with an ulcer and gonorhoea presents with a dischrge.
Also candidial balanaposthitis can lead to discharge.
A confirmation about the nature of the problem is a must before commencing a treatment. It is not prudent to take treatment without the visual diagnosis by the competent physician.
Just to answer your question Doxy are different in their mode of action and separately used for both the infections mentioned by you.

Let me know if you wish to know any further about the problem.

Dr.Rohit Batra
Follow-up: Urethra itching, white discharge from penis. Taken flagyl, doxycycline. Is this chlamydia or trichomoniasis? 4 hours later
Thank you for your advice.

Unfortunately, I’m unable to see a doctor due to my current location (middle east/combat zone).

I started today on Doxy & Flagyl twice daily in the hopes it will work.

Due to my location and inability to see a doctor, would you suggest any additional medications that I may be able to add to my 7 day cycle that would help. Or should I take the Doxy/Flagyl for 7 days and see if it helps.

Thank you!!

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 14 hours later

It would be unethical and inappropriate to prescribe you scheduled drugs without doing a proper examination.

A doctor’s advice in person is a must in such conditions. Self medication is not a good idea. Our laws prohibit me to prescribe you without examining.

I am really sorry for that. Hope you would understand.

Dr.Rohit Batra