Upset stomach, constipation, diarrhea, prune juice, milk of magnesia. Cause?

Question
i ate something that upset my stomach and then a couple of days later i was constipated then it went to diarrhea and then went back to constipation and stay that way. i drank 8oz of prune juice mixed with 2 tablespoons of milk of magnesia and like an hour later it will cleaning out my system. now my stomach is making really weird noises and i'm not hungry. why is my stomach doing this?
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 11 minutes later

From the description of your symptoms, the intake of prune juice along with a laxative like milk of magnesia, is the cause of your symptoms.

As a laxative, milk of magnesia enters the stomach to stimulate intestinal motility, helping flush out the intestines. A dose measures 2-5 g (0.07-0.18 oz). While the hydroxide ions play less of a role in this process, the magnesium helps through the following steps:

1. Magnesium ions draw water from the surrounding body tissues into the intestinal tract by
osmosis.

2. The higher quantity of water in the intestinal tract softens and increases the volume of
faeces, stimulating nerves in the intestines.

3. Magnesium ions also play a role in releasing the peptide hormone cholecystokinin, causing
accumulation of water and electrolytes in the intestine and triggering intestinal motility.

Increase in intestinal motility, results in production of noises called Borborgymi. This is a normal physiologic action of the gastro intestinal system, and is not an abnormal sign.

The way to go ahead would be to relax for a couple of hours until you have your bowel movements.

Usually the symptoms should subside within 6 hours of use of the laxative.

I hope this helps to clear your doubts.

In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.

Regards.

Follow-up: Upset stomach, constipation, diarrhea, prune juice, milk of magnesia. Cause? 15 hours later
when i had my bowel movement after the milk of magnesia and the prune juice my feces were XXXXXXX and runny and i was pooping water too. but now it has been a day and a half since that and now i feel the urgency to go poop but i can't is there anything that can help me have a bowel movement because i don't want to take another laxative and end up right back where i was with the prune juice and milk of magnesia.

Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 5 hours later
Hello again,

I do understand your concern and I shall help you accordingly.

To relieve your constipation and help you get proper bowel movements, stimulant laxatives are the best.

For immediate relief, I would suggest you to take Bisacodyl (Dulcolax, Correctol).
To empty the bowels, bisacodyl usually is taken orally the night before and a bowel movement usually occurs in the morning after 6 to 8 hours.

Once you have a proper bowel movements, you might switch to bulk forming laxatives, which have no form of side effects and can be used on a long term basis.

Examples of bulk-forming laxatives are methylcellulose (Citrucel) psyllium hydrophilic mucilloid (Metamucil), polycarbophil (FiberCon), guar gum (Benefiber) and malt soup extract (Maltsupex). Many of these agents are available as powders and are mixed with fluids for usage.

In addition, having enough fiber in your diet often helps to relieve constipation. Try to get at least 20 grams a day, but more is better. Eat more whole fruits and vegetables; replace white rice, bread, and pastas with whole-grain products. Increase your fiber intake slowly to avoid gas and bloating. And water helps fiber pass stools, so drink at least 2 to 4 extra glasses of water a day. Don't expect results overnight -- after a few days of regular fiber intake you should start to see improvement.

I hope this helps to clear your doubts.

Regards.