Upset stomach after gall bladder removal. Worried for colon cancer and liver weekness

Gastroenterologist
Question
My mother is 60 and she had her gall bladder removed 2 years back and touch wood no big issues apart from the burping or stomach upset sometimes. but i am afraid of colon cancer and liver weekness as a long term side effects (read on google). Please advice. She had 3mm and 4mm stones on her kidney, so please advice the diet also.
Posted Wed, 23 Jan 2013 in Digestion and Bowels

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 12 minutes later
I am Dr.Ratnakar Kini, Gastroenterologist and I am pleased to answer your query.

Colon cancer following gallbladder surgery is just a hypothesis only. It is not confirmed adequately. Toxic bile acids are said to be responsible for that. You can tell her to take UDCA 300 mg once daily to counter the effect of these toxic bile acids.
But it does not cause anything in the liver.

I hope that answers your question.
If you have no more questions, kindly accept this answer and rate this service.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini
Velammal Hospitals,
Mugappair, Chennai.

Follow-up: Upset stomach after gall bladder removal. Worried for colon cancer and liver weekness 8 minutes later
Thanks. So gall bladder removal does not weaken the liver? Thanks for the info. In google somebody says gall bladder removal affects liver, pancreas, splen, colon and cholestrol level. So I afraid. Please explain. I will not distrub you anymore

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 16 minutes later
Gallbladder removal does not affect any of the organs you have mentioned.
Not all information you see on internet is reliable.
There is no need to worry about the gallbladder surgery.

I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini

Follow-up: Upset stomach after gall bladder removal. Worried for colon cancer and liver weekness 41 hours later
Any diet should she follow?

Answered by Dr. Ratnakar Kini 9 hours later
Let her take less of oil and fatty food.
I hope that answers your question.

Dr.Ratnakar Kini