Upper right quadrant pain and sweaty mornings,burning,blood test normal,more pain while periods,medication

Hi, I wake with upper right qaudrant pain, always between 3:30-4 a.m. and when I wake I notice the pain and I am sweating so bad. Burning up. after about a half hour of being awake it goes away, but zi cannot go back to sleep. It is as if my adrenalin kicks in to mask the pain. When I drink or take medication it gets worse, always very bad around my period. extreme exhaustion. blood tests normal, what could this be?
Posted Mon, 7 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 2 hours later

Can you give additional information, so as to what blood tests were done ? Were any liver function tests done ?

Based on the history, it seems that your pain could be associated with the following conditions :-
1. Hepatitis, or
2. gall bladder inflammation (Cholecystitis ) OR gall stones (Cholelithiasis).
3. Colitis ( inflammation of the right colon)
4. Right sided renal stones.

Since the pain is of very severe nature, you might benefit by getting tested for the above conditions by tests including - blood tests (liver function tests), A liver ultrasound or a abdominal CT scan. These tests will be helpful to give a proper diagnosis.

I shall be available for any follow up questions that you might be having.
Follow-up: Upper right quadrant pain and sweaty mornings,burning,blood test normal,more pain while periods,medication 22 hours later
I had liver function tests, pancreatitis test, only when there was no pain did I have these tests. I had scans of my gallbladder, I had upper endoscopy and colonoscopy tests. All were normal. However the pain is very severe when I take medication and or when I have a couple of drinks, and very very bad around my period. always wakes me at 3-4 with hot sweats.
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 3 hours later

Since most of the tests (if done after the onset of the current symptoms) have been normal, it does help to rule out the main probable cause of your symptoms, that were mentioned earlier.

The description of the pain and the presence of aggravating factors, it seems that your abdominal pain could be due to excess acid production in the stomach (Gastritis).

It is common that this condition can be aggravated by drinking alcohol or taking medications that cause Gastro intestinal irritation.

In addition, Baclofen, can cause side effects including - Abdominal pain, Nausea, constipation and anorexia.

To help your condition, it would be best to remove all the predisposing factors that cause your pain, including alcohol and Baclofen (You might consult your doctor, either to reduce the dosage or change the medication to something better).

In addition, medications like Nexium or prilosec taken on a regular basis for a week or two, along with antacids (Tums, mylanta) will help to reduce your pain.

I hope this helps.