Upper respiratory tract infection, loss of hearing, painful, throat pain, temple pain, mucus drainage

ENT Specialist
I was diagnosed with upper respiratory infection last Thursday and prescribed ceftan twice a day to take. I thought I was getting better but now I have lost some hearing in my left ear and it is painful. All the way behind my left ear to the throat hurts as well and feels as if it is throbbing in pain. I also have pain in my left temple as well. It feels as if I have a lot of muco
us and drainage on the left side of my head. My left side of my head is throbbing and I am on pain
Posted Wed, 23 May 2012 in Lung and Chest disorders
Answered by Dr. Sumit Bhatti 18 minutes later

Thank you for your query.

1. Antibiotics only reduce the bacterial load or prevent secondary bacterial infection in viral upper respiratory tract infections. Thereafter the body's immunity fights the infection. Hence any infection takes time to settle. Ask for a throat swab for culture and sensitivity and then request a change in antibiotics with the report in hand.

2. You need to get an ear examination, Tympanogram (Impedance Audiogram), PTA (Pure Tone Audiogram) and rule out Sinusitis with an X-ray.

3. You will require additional supportive medication such as anti-allergics, mucolytics, pain-killers and anti-inflammatory medication, medicated gargles, anti-reflux medication and steam inhalation to treat your Post Nasal Drip (mucus).

3. Reflux sore throat may be mistaken as an infection, or the infection may be viral. This makes the antibiotics ineffective and only supportive medication works in these situations.

4. You may share your investigation reports here for more specific treatment options.

I hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries, I will be available to answer them.