Upper quadrant pain after drinking alcohol, persisten pain after stopping alcohol, no nausea or diarrhea

Right upper quadrant pain after drinking alcohol but now I have stopped alcohol but the pain is still persistent. no nausea,vomiting or diarrhea
Posted Wed, 26 Sep 2012 in Smoking and Alcohol Addiction
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 32 minutes later

Right upper quadrant pain in a past alcoholic is commonly due to gastritis or gastric ulcer diseases. I will suggest you to consult a gastroenterologist and go for upper G.I. (gastrointestinal) endoscopy to exclude gastric erosion or gastritis changes or XXXXXXX ulcers. If ulcer found, it’s better to take biopsy from the edge of the ulcer along with rapid urease test to exclude helicobacter pylori infection.

Meanwhile I will suggest you to take frequent small amount food, avoid spicy food, smoking or alcohol intake further. You may also have pantoprazole tablet once daily in empty stomach.

Again you should know that heart diseases also commonly present with upper quadrant pain. So at least do an ECG to exclude heart problems.

Again gall bladder diseases especially with history of alcoholism are common causes of right upper quadrant abdominal pain. For that i will advise you to have an ultrasonography of upper abdomen.

I think diagnosis will be made with the above investigations and suggestions. If you want to know more you can ask me freely.

Wishing you quick recovery.

Dr Arnab Maji