Upper quad pain, back pain, bloating. Taken Flexiral and hydrocodone. Need help

Jan 2013

I have had upper left quad pain for years. When I was younger it would come and go, but the last 4 years it has gotten severaly worse. I have went to my physician and she did blood test, xray and ultrasound. Everything was normal. I also have back pain associated with the adominal pain. It wakes me up at night, and I can only stand for a little while then I have to lay down. I have read alot on upper left quad pain and it could be various things. I do not have a fever, vomiting or diahrrea. I do have bloating. I need something done its gotten to the point I can't stand it. I did go to urgent care last week and they gave me flexiral, and hydrocodone. It did not help at all.

Posted Tue, 18 Sep 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 36 minutes later
Have you undergone upper gastro-intestinal tract endoscopy/ chest x ray/ ECG of heart?
What was the reports?
Do you have constipation/ bleeding per rectum/ abdominal heaviness/ weight loss?Have you undergone colonoscopy?
Do you have burning and frequent urination?
Pain in left upper quadrant with normal USG may suggest involvement of following organs: Stomach specially gastro-esophageal junction, spleen, splenic flexure in large intestine pathology, heart disease, left lower chest pathology, and renal pathology.
You should consult with physician/ gastro-physician and go for UGI endoscopy, colonoscopy, CT/ MRI scan abdomen, ECG and chest x XXXXXXX for better evaluation of left upper quadrant.
If all described investigations are normal then there may be possibilities of muscle ache and neuropathic pain.
In such cases, you should consult with neurologist and should take muscle relaxants and medicine for neuropathic pain on written prescription.
Put your query if you have.
Best regards,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava
Follow-up: Upper quad pain, back pain, bloating. Taken Flexiral and hydrocodone. Need help 2 hours later
I have had a ekg, colonoscopy with normal results. I do not have painful urination or frequent urination.

I do not have constipation, bleeding rectum, weight loss instead I have gained weight and my back hurts very bad also and I have bloated feeling alot of the time.

I do think I could do a UGO endoscopy, CT/MRI scan.

I did get prescribed muscle relaxants and I take 10mg 3 times a day and it does not help.

So I guess I should make another appointmen with my physcian and try to schedule some of these test.

I did go to the urgent care doctor last week and he said if the mediciene did not help I would need exploratory surgery and I thought that was a little extreme.

Answered by Dr. Mayank Bhargava 8 hours later
If your back hurts then there may be possibility neuropathic pain.
Firs you should go for CT/ MRI scan and if tis is also inconclusive then you should for exploratory laparotomy.
Yes, you should also go for endoscopy.
Take care,
Dr. Mayank Bhargava