Upper lip appears discoloured of a 5 year child. What could be causing this?

Orthopaedic Surgeon
My son is 5 years old andhus upper lip appears dicsolored. What could be causing this?
It is just above his top lip and looks like dirt but it is clean.
Posted Sat, 6 Oct 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
A small discoloration on the upper lip that has appeared recently could be related to an allergic reaction.
A direct examination of the area will help in a proper diagnosis. Most of the times such minor skin changes are self limiting and these do subside on their own without any treatment in 4-7 days. You can apply 1% hydrocortisone ointment over the area for an early recovery.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Please accept my answer in case you do not have further queries.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.