Upper left chest and lower back pain, arms, hands numbness, fatigue, sore throat. Pregnancy, mono tests done. Tonsillitis treated. Reason?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
I am 32, a regular drinker and smoker (quit date is Monday, so don't lecture please). For 4-5 days, pain in my upper left chest right above my breast, numbness/tingling in both arms and hands (almost like they've fallen asleep), abnormal fatigue, slightly sore throat, and lower back pain. Any idea what this could be? I am fit and normally feel tip top, but can't not shake this at all during the day or night. A week ago was treated for tonisilitis and that was cleared up. None of this except the sore throat were a symptom them. Got tested for both pregnancy and mono since then, both were negative. Starting to get very worried. Any ideas??
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 8 hours later
Hello ,
Your symptoms most likely resemble a neuropathic or musculoskeletal chest pain rather than other significant causes like an ischemic cardiac pain.There is also a probability of this being after effects of a viral infection or a nicotine withdrawal.
For an exact diagnosis it's best to get evaluated by your physician who after physical examination, and investigations like electrocardiogram, xray chest and if indicated ,an MRI spine come to the exact diagnosis.
However considering your history, I feel this is most likely an after effect of smoking cessation since it's been there for almost a week without any significant worsening or complications like breathlessness, muscular weakness or loss of power of limbs, fever, bowel bladder disturbances etc.
In the first few days after quitting, it's common to experience some symptoms as follows ,
Headaches, chest tightness, constipation, gas, cramps, nausea, sweating, tingling in the hands and feet.Also sore throat, dry mouth, nasal drip, cough and signs of a cold are also common symptoms
that may become most intense during the first few days after you quit smoking. Although some symptoms may persist for a month or two, most subside within a couple of weeks.
So I would advise you to wait and watch for another week and if your symptoms persist or worsen then please get yourself evaluated by your doctor.
Hope I have answered your query.