Upper chest pain and palpitations when climbing stairs. Taking Labetalol for hypertension. Advice?

i have some left upper chest pain and palpitation after i climb stairs that goes away after a few minutes. I have high bloodpressure regulated with labetalol22mg bid and maxzide 50/75 half tab 1xpe day.
I excercise pretty regularly and do not experience pain even after a jog. only at climbing stairs.S
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Answered by Dr. Gopi A 10 hours later

I have gone through the information given by you.

The initial impression on hearing your symptoms is that it could be related to the heart. Chest discomfort on exertion is a classical symptom of blockages in the blood vessels to the heart and during exertion when the heart needs more blood for its function, it does not get it.

But when you say that you are comfortable when you jog and considering that you are only 44 years of age, I am not certain.

Either way, we need to investigate to rule out or confirm the diagnosis. For this I would recommend you XXXXXXX your physician and schedule a treadmill test which would give us a good idea about what the possible diagnosis is.

I hope, I have answered your query. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

With regards,

Dr. A. Gopi