Upper back pain, lightheadedness, cough since treatment for URT. Is this related?

I have some upper back pain and I get some sort of lightheadedness...I have a little cough that has been there since I had the upper respiratory flu(2 months)... any ideas any of this related? I may have done something to my back a month ago I was on computer alot for about three weeks. I had a back x XXXXXXX nothing there
Posted Sun, 26 May 2013 in Back Pain
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 5 hours later
Your two problems of upper back ache and persistent cough are  unrelated to each other.
Your upper back pain is basically a postural pain and has been brought about by long working on computer.
Treatment involves physiotherapy along with exercises aimed at relieving spasm of upper back.You must consult a physiotherapist who can provide local heat by short wave diathermy and teach you few exercises.
In the mean time,avoid sitting in one posture for very long.
Make sure that you switch your posture every 15 minutes.
Always stretch your muscles before and after sitting for computer work.

As far as your cough is concerned,it is a post viral cough which occurs in many cases after a bout of flu infection.
Normally such type of cough go away in 2 to 3 months of their own.
However you may use some cough suppressants containing codeine preparation.
In some patients, inhaled steroids can also bring relief.
You have to consult your doctor for prescription of such medicines.
I hope it helps however you may revert to me for any further query.
Best of luck
Follow-up: Upper back pain, lightheadedness, cough since treatment for URT. Is this related? 14 hours later
Thank you,,,could my lightheadedness have to do with back muscle, spasms etc.?
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 2 hours later
Lightheadedness can be caused by various reasons.
There could be some element of cervical spondylitis at your age which coupled with upper back muscle spasms can cause lightheadedness.
There could be some middle ear infection due to persistent cough.
Other causes could be ...
Thyroid disorders
Low blood sugar
Change in blood pressure levels

Consult your doctor for necessary investigations,if symptoms persist or increases.