Upper back hurts while doing push ups. What could be wrong?

Feb 2014

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
hello i am an athlete I play in college and I am getting ready for my spring season. When I do push ups my upper back hurts specifically just behind my right shoulder blade. When i breath deeply my upper back tends to crack. Do you know what it might be? what can I do to fix this problem? excersizes. or specialists I can visit
Posted Sat, 23 Nov 2013 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta 1 hour later
Brief Answer: Trapezius muscles strain. Detailed Answer: Hi, Thanks for your query I have read your query in detail. The symptoms you have described are more likely to be symptoms of trapezius muscles strain. Any strained muscle when stretched gives severe pain. I advice you to follow the below mentioned guidelines - * Give adequate rest to the involved muscle group and avoid any movement that causes pain *Ice packing once in every 2 hours over the affected area *Use analgesic anti-inflammatory medications like Advil or Aleve to reduce the pain and inflammation. *Once the severity of pain decreases, Gradual and mild stretching activities are begun along with Moist heat fomentation of the painful area so as to increase the blood supply to the underlying muscles and also the relax them. Gentle massaging of the painful area with pain killer creams may also help. If your symptoms are not getting better with the above measures, I suggest you to consult an orthopedic surgeon for further evaluation and management. I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.If you have no further query, please close the discussion and give your review.