Upper abdominal pain, started with chest pain around nipple, tiredness, nausea, dizziness. Heart problem?

I am a 37 year old, white male, healthy with no history of heart problems. 11 hours ago, I started feeling chest pains directly around my left nipple in an area the size of my palm. This pain extended to my upper abdomen. It progressively has gotten worse overnight. I noticed this morning that I am extremely tired, as well as nauseous. I have slight (very slight) dizziness and disorientation. Should I be concerned that this is a heart problem, or should I consider this a GI problem.
Posted Wed, 18 Apr 2012 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Gowri Kulkarni 25 minutes later

Thank you for posting in the query.

I understand that you have been experiencing chest pain on the left side extending to the upper abdomen which has worsened since last night and currently you are feeling extremely tired, nauseous and dizzy. Other symptoms that might be present are profuse sweating, unconsciousness, shortness of breath, fatigue, vomiting.

Though you do not have any history of heart problem I would strongly recommend that you visit your Electrocardiography done.

Gastritis and gastrointestinal problems can cause similar symptoms, but it is better to be cautious regarding heart ailments rather than brushing it off as just a GI problem. I suggest you to consult your primary care physician.

Following are the risk factors for Coronary artery disease:
1. Age > 45 years for males and > 55 years for females
2. Male gender
3. Family history of coronary artery disease
4. Obesity
5. Physical inactivity
6. Diabetes mellitus
7. Smoking
8. Alcohol consumption
9. Deranged lipid profile
10. Stress

Hope my answer are helpful. Should you have any additional concerns with regards to my recommendations, I will be available to clarify them.

Dr Gowri