Upper abdominal pain, celiac, endoscopy, CBC. Suggestion?

37 years old, no real medical history or issues. over last year and half been dealing with left upper abdomen pains, from buring to throbbing fealing. comes and goes, and sometimes last for several days. seems to have become more annoying over the last 6 months. a year and half ago had a cat scan that came back clean, recently went back to the doctor sent me for an xray that came back clean. did a cbc along with several other blood tests for celiac and other indicators, all clean. put me on miralax and if didnt clear up wants me to get and endoscopy.

i am 200lbs, 5/9, do not smoke, i do drink alchol but only once a week. i sit in a desk all day at work, the pain bothers me more when i sit, but feels XXXXXXX have always felt i had ibs type symptoms with alternating bowel habits, some stress but nothing real bad. what could this be? any ideas? eating and not eating doesnt seem to make a difference either
Posted Tue, 1 May 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 10 minutes later

There can two possibilities for your pain.
1. It could be due to peptic ulcer disease. Such condition don't show up on CAT scan or on blood tests. Upper GI Endoscopy will pin point to this.

2. Some people have referred pain from a pathology elsewhere.

A cardiac anginal pain and sometimes be felt only in the abdomen. It usually however will be related to exertion and unlikely to get unnoticed. Yet you will need an evaluation in this regards

Pancreas, Renal Stones etc can cause such pain. CAT scan and X Rays are normal. So less likely.

So go for an Upper GI Endoscopy and Cardiac Evaluation.
That should clear the issue.

Hope this answers your query.
Please get back if you need any further information

Thanks and Regards

Dr Kiran
Follow-up: Upper abdominal pain, celiac, endoscopy, CBC. Suggestion? 1 hour later
are ulcers typically not response to malox, previcid ect? i did drink alchol a few times this weekend and ate spicy food, if indeed it was some sort of ulcer or gastric irretation would the irritation continue all day? today seems the worst it has bothered me in a while, from 8am this morning until now. the pain doesnt hurt but it is irritating and constant although from thursday to sunday i had no real issues. the pain is both burning and sometimes feels throbing
Answered by Dr. Kiran Kumar 1 hour later
Hello again,

Gastritis usually heal with Previcid (Lansoprazole) and Malox. However, if there are ulcers, therapy is require for nearly 6- 8 weeks.

Ulcer Pain/Dyspepsia usually does not remain continuous for days together.

You are too young to have any sort of a malignancy.

Yet, an endoscopy is the next step in the work up for diagnosis.

Wishing you speedy recovery.

Take care and Regards,

Dr Kiran