Upper abdominal pain after eating, nausea. History of breast cancer and diabetes

I need help to figure out if my grandmother has a serious abdominal disease. I have her symptoms.

She has upper-right abdominal pain and it worsens after she eats a lot. She also feels nauseous sometimes. She had breast cancer twice before, however she got her right breast removed and has no signs of cancer. She went for an ultrasound last week, and will get updated results soon. She has diabetes.
Posted Thu, 27 Sep 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 47 minutes later

In view of symptoms possibility of Ultrasound can make this clear.

If the pain is associated with burning sensation then possibility of duodenal ulcer needs to be ruled out.In this case she may need an endoscopy.

So I guess you will have to wait till you get the ultrasound report.

Meanwhile she should have low fat diet,small meals and non-spicy food with adequate water.

She can try anti-emetics for nausea.

Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.
Follow-up: Upper abdominal pain after eating, nausea. History of breast cancer and diabetes 23 minutes later
Thanks for the response. She has just told me that she also gets swelling in her right ankle. My worst fear is that this is cancer.

Please provide me with some facts that can hopefully help me not worry about her. Do you think she will die soon?
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 15 minutes later
Since the pain is only on eating, I don't think it's related to cancer.So I would consider other possibilities first.

Spread of cancer would cause more of continuous symptoms.So I would not consider that as first possibility.

Spreading of breast cancer directly to ankle is unusual, so ankle swelling is unlikely to be related to cancer.

Ideal investigation in such cases is getting a PET scan done.This can pick up cancer or it's spread at early stage in entire body.You can discuss about this with your doctor.

Please ask if there are doubts or further questions.Regards.
Follow-up: Upper abdominal pain after eating, nausea. History of breast cancer and diabetes 9 minutes later
I don't understand. My grandmother had her gallbladder removed many years ago. How could she have gallstones?

Answered by Dr. Sudhir 4 minutes later
In that case I would suggest duodenal ulcer as most likely cause. These are the possibilities I am suggesting based on her symptoms.

Please ask if there are doubts.regards.