Upper abdominal pain after eating. Help

i get bad pain in my upper abdomen near my ribcage that wakes me up early in the morning around 5 or 6, before i go to sleep, and usually after i eat. this pain feels like cramps but the only other way i know how to describe it is contractions because theyre consistant one comes for 10 seconds then goes away for like 30 seconds and it repeats for an hour the top of my abdomen is also bloated 2 inches above what it normally is which is wierd cause im not eating as much. the pain is the worst when i wake up because it wakes me up and nothing makes it go away until it finally just stops
Posted Sun, 23 Sep 2012 in Abdominal Pain
Answered by Dr. Arnab Maji 55 minutes later

Your history of pain is very much suggestive of duodenal ulcer pain, which is aggravated after eating. Thanks for giving such detailed history of pain. I think you should consult a gastroenterologist. You need to have an upper G.I. endoscopic examination to look for duodenal and gastric ulcer or mucosal erosions. If ulcer found then better to go for a biopsy from the ulcer edge and the rapid urease test to exclude helicobacter pylori test.

In the meanwhile, you will be benefit by following my advice:

1. Don’t have any kind of spicy food,
2. Avoid smoking and alcohol,
3. Food in small quantity and much more frequently i.e. every two hours is needed,
4. Take plenty of water,
5. Take pantoprazole group of drugs in empty stomach in early morning.

You must consult the gastroenterologist and take his opinion.

Hope I have answered your queries. If you have further queries, you may ask me freely.

Wishing you quick recovery.

Dr Arnab Maji