Upper abdominal discomfort on left rib-cage, excess saliva, mucus and phlegm. Polyp found, ovarian cyst found. Worry?

For the last couple of weeks I have had mild upper abdominal discomfort on the left side under my ribcage. My stomach has been 'grumbling' a lot with hunger pangs unrelated to hunger. An occasional mild burning sensation in throat and mouth especially when lying in bed. Have excess saliva and an almost metallic taste in mouth. Have had soft, greenish stools for a few days, with diarrhoea twice but now back to normal. Stool test at GP showed normal. Have the tailend of a cold and have a considerable amount of mucus/phlegm. Mild lightheadedness. Tired arms-not weak as have full power but kind of achy. Day 6 of my first period 12 months postpartum. Being monitored for a complex ovarian cyst 3cm-nothing unusual suspected. Also 3 year watch list for colonoscopy-small polyp found. Duodenal and large bowel and pancreatic cancer in family. Heart disease as well. Worrying about symptoms!!!
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Digestion and Bowels
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 3 hours later
Hi there. Thank you for posting your question with XXXXXXX I will do my best to help you.

Alright, I totally understand why you might be worried about your symptoms given your family history. While discounting most of your other symptoms as coincidental, those of dyspepsia and burning sensation when lying down would seem to point to oesophageal reflux or hiatus hernia.

On top of this there is very understandable stress and anxiety making everything worse. If I were you, I would contact your endoscope doctor and ask him or her to do a gastroscopy for you. This will go a long way towards allaying your fears. I know you are probably fed up to your back teeth with all of this but I can't see any other way forwards for the moment.

For what it's worth; my feeling is that you are going to be fine.

I hope that I have answered your questions fully and been of some help. If you have any more questions please contact me again anytime.

Dr Andrew Rynne
Follow-up: Upper abdominal discomfort on left rib-cage, excess saliva, mucus and phlegm. Polyp found, ovarian cyst found. Worry? 9 hours later
Many thanks for your reply. I forgot to mention that I have had nausea too and at times very slightly breathless. You dont think any of this is heart related?
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 2 hours later
Hi there,

Thank you for your follow up question.

Nothing in what you say here points to heart disease. The picture is one of lower end oesophagitis with anxiety.

You still need that gastroscopy.

Hope this discussion was helpful. Should you have any further queries, feel free to post your follow up.

Wish you speedy recovery.

Andrew Rynne.
Follow-up: Upper abdominal discomfort on left rib-cage, excess saliva, mucus and phlegm. Polyp found, ovarian cyst found. Worry? 3 days later
I visited my gp who prescribed peptac and a ppi. Also has suggested we test for helicobacter pylori (excuse the spelling!) before any invasive tests. am feeling fullness in the chest after eating, and want to burp to ease the pressure but sometimes am unable too. I am also feeling increasing breathless on movement such as climbing the stairs and pushing my pram, even bending forwards! More lightheaded and 'spacey' too. Upon waking in the morning my chest starts to feel tingly. My arms are very achy even on the slightest Of actions such as lifting them uP etc. Had pain between my shoulder blades too.

My gp checked my blood pressure and pulse - bp was 118/68 so spot on. I do have high cholesterol of 6.1, but also high level of good cholesterol -ratio of 2.63.

Increasingly concerned now as don't know what is going on. Worried about my heart and or cancer! Apologies for troubling you.
Answered by Dr. Andrew Rynne MD 24 hours later

I apologize for the delay.

Fullness, dyspepsia and all the symptoms reported are seen in a case of reflux oesophagitis and anxiety. None of the symptoms to me is suggesting heart ailment or serious cancerous condition.

I understand you have become increasingly concerned and so I encourage you to plan for gastroscopy. It will allay your fears.

The medications suggested to you are effective against reflux oesophagitis. Continue as suggested. In addition, I also suggest visiting a clinical psychologist to help you handle anxiety.

Hope this answers your query.
Wish you good and speedy recover.