Unwanted 72 emergency contraceptive pill, taken once in three months. Side effects ?

Question
if i take unwanted 72 once in two to three months what are the side effects? i have took unwanted 72 for 5 or 6 times in past 1 year. i am 28 years old, 5'1" height, 57.5 kg weight. i use it only when i have intercourse in the second week of mensturation. are there any post related problems if i use it further in emergency. please suggest me.
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Birth Control

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 15 minutes later

Unwanted 72 is an Emergency contraceptive pill which contains high doses of hormones which if taken regularly can cause disturbances in the normal hormonal levels and changes in the ovulation process and thus periods can be affected.

It is recommended for emergency purpose only and not on a regular basis.

If you take it regularly then the cycles are disturbed and thus altered hormonal levels can cause issues in future pregnancy.

These pills are 97 to 98% effective so a risk of pregnancy is also associated.

Consider using other alternatives as regular contraceptive pills,condom,IUD for protection from pregnancy.They are safe and reversible methods.

Hope this answers your query.I will be available for follow up if any.

Follow-up: Unwanted 72 emergency contraceptive pill, taken once in three months. Side effects ? 1 hour later
actually, my last periods was on 28 XXXXXXX 2011, we had intercourse from 9th to 13th july 2011. please suggest me whether i shall take unwanted 72 this time or not..

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 15 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up

Considering your cycle duration to vary from 28 to 30 days you had regular intercourse during ovulation(fertile days)so possibility of pregnancy is high.

Consider taking Unwanted pill for protection from pregnancy.

But remember it has to be taken within 72 hours so it has already been more than that since 9 July.

If fertilization would have occured the pill would not provide any protection.You will need to visit a gynaecologist for a different medicine.

Hope this helps!

do unwanted 72 and i pill act as the same?

Answered by Dr. Mitaly 2 hours later

Thanks again.

Yes, both are Emergency contraceptive pills meant for pregnancy prevention and have the same action and effect.

Take Care!