Unremovable black patches on cheeks. Advise regarding treatment?

Hello sir, my queary is I am 33 yrs old & i have 02 child. My 1st child is 08 yrs & 2nd is 18 mths. I have black patches ( jhay) in my cheeks. I have shown to skin specilaist also but this patches does not removes. kindly advice.
Posted Tue, 22 May 2012 in Pigmentation Problems
Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 38 minutes later
Thanks for writing in.
The pigmentation problem described by you occurs during pregnancy and then becomes chronic. It is called melasma.
To treat this condition, avoiding the sun is a must. Further, combination creams containing hydroquinone, topical steroids and tretinoin are used. Such a preparation should be used only in night.
Once cleared, maintenance creams containing kojic acid etc can be used.
These are prescription drugs and I would suggest that you consult your dermatologist for the same.

Dr.Rohit Batra