Unprotected vaginal sex. Suggested PCR DNA for HIV test negative results. Should more tests be done?

Hi Doctor,

I had an unprotected vaginal sex with CSW in Bogota Colombia. After then I was freak out for knowing the possibilities of HIV.

Then I have taken 4th generation duo at 20 days XXXXXXX which came negative. Then going through the net, doctors recommended this test initially done after 28 days XXXXXXX and then repeat on after 3 months.

Then I went for the duo after 28 days, but HIV Councillor insist me for PCR DNA test. She claimed this is the most accurate test currently and conclusive after 28 days to detect HIV virus. I agreed and go for that test at 28 days after the possible encounter. After 5 days result back and that was also negative

Please now share your thought and let me know can I be able to move on with my life or need further testing for conclusive result.

Please help
Posted Sun, 15 Jul 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 37 minutes later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

PCR DNA Test is supposed to give 95% accurate results after 28 days.

Thus chances of falls negative are only 5% in your case.

The standard test for HIV is ELISA test and if it comes positive, is confirmed again with Western blot test.

PCR DNA test detects presence of antigen of HIV, while Elisa test detects antibodies against HIV.

After infection with HIV, detectable amount of antibodies is generally produced within one month, but in some people with poor immunity, it can take up to six months. For accuracy it is usually done after 3 months, but it should be negative after 6 months also.

Thus to become sure, you can get ELISA test for HIV done after 3 and 6 months of

If you have further query, please feel free to ask.

With good wishes,
Follow-up: Unprotected vaginal sex. Suggested PCR DNA for HIV test negative results. Should more tests be done? 1 hour later
Hi Doctor,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

Now, can you please help me regarding the symptoms in early HIV.
I am experiencing swollen lymph node after 4 weeks of exposure under jaw, neck and in groin. This after touching can feel some what is swollen compare to other part, but not that much visible.
Not having fever or sore throat which is the most common as per experts say.

Is this lymph node/enlarged gland is some thing to be worrying for?
Also 20 days duo how much reliable?

Please help me with your expert opinion.

Thanks a lot.
Answered by Dr. Chandra Shekhar Sharma 7 hours later

Welcome to XXXXXXX

HIV is the name of virus only.

Name of disease developed due to HIV infection is AIDS.

Infection with HIV decreases immunity, thus makes infected people more susceptible to infections.

Some people may develop influenza like symptoms 2 to 4 weeks after exposure. Aids may take 3 to 20 years to show its effects. Infected people may develop fever, weight loss, gastrointestinal symptoms and muscle pain etc.

You should get your swollen lymph nodes examined by an ENT specialist.
F.N.A.C. test is required for swollen lymph nodes.

20 days duo is not reliable.

With good wishes,