Unprotected sexual intercourse, oral sex, woman's HIV status unknown. Chances of HIV infection?

Question
last month i made intercourse with my relative's maid servant. i inserted my penis only for 5 seconds then i wore condome. i also licked her vagina. i dont know whether she had hiv or not.till today maid has no symptom. what are my chance of getting infected with hiv?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 6 minutes later

Well,sexual intercourse and penetration as well as oral sex are all routes of transmission of the virus.If she would have been infected then oral sex / penetration even for a few sec could have caused transmission of the virus.
If her status is not known,then she should be tested as soon as possible.
You should also be cautious and get tested for HIV.If you have had any recent cuts/sores etc on your genitals/mouth then chances of infection are more.
I would suggest that you become tested if your partner's status isnt confirmed.Symptoms in HIV appear much later so please dont wait for any symptoms to appear.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have any follow up queries I will be available to answer them.

Follow-up: Unprotected sexual intercourse, oral sex, woman's HIV status unknown. Chances of HIV infection? 16 hours later
dear doc
thanks a lot.
kindly tell me what tests i should undergo?

Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 3 hours later

Thanks for writing back.

You should get a blood test and be tested for Hiv spot test.If by chance its positive,another confirmatory test should be done called western blot.
These tests are routine not very expensive.They are done at all pathology labs and govt institutions.You should be re tested after 3-6 months just in case you happen to be in the window period.
If however,you want a faster method of determination,PCR test is a very sensitive test and will give a quicker result.However,its more expensive.

Wish you good health.