Unprotected sexual intercourse, UTI, staph. Urine test done. Cortisone, Steroid inhalers taken. Can STD be detected through urine test?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Excellent
Question
I had unprotected sex with a male friend who was recently widowed after a 37 year marriage. I am married. About two weeks after I developed a lung infection and was put on cortisone and steroid inhalers (I have asthma). About 10 days after that I developed an UTI and was treated with antibiotics. That was a month ago and I returned to my doctor last week to have the urine tested again and it came back with staphococcus algalactiae in it. I also had my first Brazilian bikini wax a week before the unprotected sex. Could I have caught something from that because my friend said he has had sex with only one other woman who was tested and had no STDs. My gynecologist has recommended another course of antibiotics for the staph and then 7-10 days after treatment another urine test. Would an STD have shown up in the urine or should I ask him to test before starting the antibiotics?
Posted Wed, 11 Jul 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later
hi,

The possible causes of your infection are,

-by sexual transmission: as staph infection can also be gotten through personal care items or using shared toilets your boy friend might have got it in this way and may not aware of ,

-You might have also got infection because of sharing items or toilets with infected persons.

-as you used steroids they will decrease the immunity and make body susceptible to infections, so the bacteria normally present on skin also can cause infection.

-as by sharing personal care items like razors etc staph infection can spread so the waxing also may be one cause for your infection.

to treat sexually transmitted infection both partners to be treated so that future mutual transmission can be prevented ,
so better your friend also get examined for presence of staph infection and if found positive both to be treated simultaneously.

If his test comes negative you get treated and till completion of treatment you use some barrier method of contraception to prevent transmission.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.