Unprotected sex,negative STD test,bump on vagina,pimple,pus

Dear Doctor,

I am 34 year old female and recently my boyfriend and I had STD tests so that we could begin having sex without condoms. Both tests were clear. But at the beginning of this week, I got a bump on the inside on my vagina, near the clitoris. It looks like a pimple and when squeezed, pus comes out. It doesnt look like any of the online pictures of STD's and I have no other symptoms, not irregular discharge or anything like that. I had something like this once before when I was not sexually active, but it was on the outer lip of my vagina, not inside. What could it be?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Deepak Anvekar 1 hour later
Hello Doyle,

From the description the bump could be one of the following:-

1. Cyst arising from the sebaceous glands or
2. Cysts from the mucus glands situated in and around the vagina.
3. Benign infection of the hair follicles around the vaginal orifice.

Such bumps occur due to occlusion of the gland or hair follicle opening and usually enlarge slowly over time. At a certain stage, they open up and discharge the collected secretions and then resolve on their own.

Since the bump has opened up and has discharged its contents it should resolve on its own within a few days and subside completely. You need not worry about any STD.

If you are too much concerned about their presence then you can consult a gynecologist who can examine it and remove it completely with a small procedure.

In some cases, when the bumps get infected, they can cause pain and purulent discharge and may need a course of antibiotics for a few days.

I hope this helps to answer your question effectively.

Please feel free to write back again if you have additional queries.

Dr. Anvekar.