Unprotected sex,antibiotic,contraceptive pill.Pregnancy?

Hello Doctors, My friend had intercourse with his girlfriend without protection. The girl took antibiotic before that night for throat infection. It seems the girl had "misstake" pill (contraceptive pill) after 6 hours. he is so afraid seeing some articles in the net . Kindly let me know how serious is it ? will she become pregnant ? its now 32 hours when i post this.
Posted Mon, 23 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 9 hours later

Thank you for your Query.

I Would like to know few more things which would help me in suggesting you better:

1.) When was the Girl's Last Menstrual Period?
2.) Are her Periods regular?

I would like to let you know that there is something called "Danger Period" which is between 10th and 20th day of a Woman's Cycle. Any Person who has Unprotected sex during this Period, will have Very Good chances of Conception. There is also something called "Emergency Contraception" which is by taking a Emergency Contraception Pill within 72 Hours Unprotected Sex.

Since the Girl has taken a Emergency Pill within 72 Hours of Unprotected sex, that chances of Pregnancy are almost nil. So there is nothing to be worried about. Let her wait for her next Periods, if she happens to miss it, she should be doing a Urine Pregnancy Test using a Early morning Urine sample after a Week of Missing the Periods.

Ask your friend to not to be worried about the information which he gets on the Internet, most of the time they are not genuine and the antibiotic intake will have no effect on her Conception.

I hope this Information will be of much help to you.

Wish you Both Good Health.

Take Care.
Follow-up: Unprotected sex,antibiotic,contraceptive pill.Pregnancy? 6 hours later
Dear doctor,
Thanks for the detailed reply.
The girl's last Mensurational period was on august 15.
Yes, she is having regular periods monthly.
It seems they had intercourse around 4 AM and she had the tablet at 10 AM.
I would like to know one more thing, is there something like she should get bleeding after she intakes the tablet. It seems she didnt get it still. They both are really in panic. Again thanks for the valuable info. Will be waiting for further details on it .
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Tauseef 33 hours later

Thank you for Writing Back.

If her Periods are regular and as I already said that if she has had Unprotected sex between the 10th and 20th day of her cycle that is between 24th August and 3rd September she will have chances of conceiving and since she has taken emergency pill with 72 hours of sex, she will not conceive and it is not always necessary that the bleeding should happen.

Ask her to wait for her next periods and if by chance she happens to miss them, she should get a Urine Pregnancy Test done using a Early morning Urine sample after a week of missing them. If she gets her Periods within this timespan, she is not Pregnant and both your Friends can just relax.

Wish you Both Good Health.

Take Care.