Unprotected sex with two partners, morning after pill taken post first partner sex. Pregnancy test positive at two weeks. Who is the father of the child?

Psychiatrist
Question
Hi I had unprotected sex with my ex on day 11 of my cycle and took the morning after pill 36 hours later.. i then had unprotected sex with my current partner the rest of the month.I am now 29 days and took a hpt test which say pregnant 1-2 weeks ... who is the dad?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 2 hours later

I appreciate your efforts for medical consultation in so much distress.

Although it is difficult to say exactly who is the dad but following information will help you.

1st day of menstrual cycle is considered the first day of next whole cycle. Ovulation occurs in the middle of the cycle and more specifically 14 days prior to the next cycle. Having sex around the day of ovulation, leads to the pregnancy.

For example if first day of cycle (start of bleeding) is on 1st November and average cycle length is 30 day duration then next menstrual cycle will start on 1st December. So highest chance of ovulation is on 16th (30-14days). So having sex around 16th November will lead to pregnancy.

DNA paternity test will give you an exact idea.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you. Please accept my answer in case you do not have follow up queries.

Follow-up: Unprotected sex with two partners, morning after pill taken post first partner sex. Pregnancy test positive at two weeks. Who is the father of the child? 1 hour later
would the morning after pill, levonorgestrel have worked for that one incident i took it 36 hours later and was not sick or anything.

Answered by Dr. Ashish Mittal 13 hours later
Hello again,

Levonorgestrel is not 100% effective. It is reported by the U.S. Food and Drug Administration to have 89% effectiveness. So, again here nothing can be commented definitely.

Apart from that, if pregnancy occurs, inspite of using hormonal contraceptive method it leads to an increase in chances of having birth defect in child. Please inform your physician regarding use of hormonal pills so that he/she can monitor the baby for birth defect in antenatal period.

Wish you good health. Please accept my answer in case you do not have follow up queries.