Unprotected sex with girl who has genital herpes. Bump on penis, not itchy. Ingrown hair or herpes lesion?

Dermatologist
Question
Hi Doc. Im a 28 yr old african american heterosexual male who 6'1 and weighs 195lbs. I have no past medical history, no history of herpes or stds. I shave my pubic hairs, with the last time I shaved being on Dec 18th. A week later my girlfriend visited me on Dec 26th for a week and we had unprotected sex everyday since that past monday. She has genital herpes and we didnt think she had a current outbreak, but i did notice a solitary pimple like bumb just above and to the left of the crack of her buttocks. Now I have a single pimple like bumb on my lower abdomen (about 7cm above my penis). I just noticed last night (dec 31), but my girlfriend says it was there all last week and just thought it was a mole (but doesnt remember when she first noticed). It doesnt hurt, it doesnt itch, I have no pain going to the bathroom. I can see a small hair on top of it, but it hard to see closely the way I have to bend my neck. Im not sure if its an ingrown hair or a herpes lesion?
Posted Thu, 3 May 2012 in Sexually Transmitted Diseases

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 5 hours later
Any lesion appearing on genitals after sexual contact is presumed to be a manifestation of a sexually transmitted disease but this is not always the case.
The chances of acquiring the infection from partner after unprotected sex are high.
Herpes lesions usually start with itching/pain/tingling on genitals following which grouped solid/fluid filled lesions appear. These lesions may later get ruptured leaving behind superficial erosions.

In your case, you are having solid pimple like lesions with some hair inside the lesion. This is not a common presentation of herpes.
This is suggestive of folliculitis or pseudofoliculitis which may occur due to trauma to hair that could have occurred during vigorous sexual activity. Another possibility would be that of Molluscum contagiosum.
So, I would suggest that you consult a Dermatovenereologist or your mupirocin cream on the lesion. You may also need a course of antibiotics like cloxacillin. However, these are prescription drugs and you would need to see your physician for the same.
I hope I have answered your query. Please accept my answer if you have no more follow up queries.
Wishing you a happy new year...
Dr Rohit BATRA.