Unprotected sex, taken Plan B. What is the possibility of being pregnant?

Hi. I had unproteced sex for about 5 minutes on XXXXXXX 19th but my ovulation is not scheduled to occur until the 26th. My next period should be around Feb. 9th. The last time he had ejaculated was 4 days before we had sex. He did not ejaculate that night and I took Plan B the next day. I do not want to get pregnant and am scared. What's the possibilities of being pregnant? How soon can I take a home pregnancy test? If I had a blood test now would it show results this soon?
Posted Fri, 27 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. James M. Schwartz 13 minutes later

Since you predict ovulation on 1/26, you are most fertile from a few days before that date to a few days after. Sperm live about 72 yours, accounting for that range. Based on your very detailed description, including ejaculation 11 days prior to predicted ovulation and taking Plan B following unprotected sex (without ejaculation, but still with a very real possibility of sperm migration from pre-ejaculatory semen) 7 days prior to predicted ovulation, the chance that you would become pregnant is very low. I would do a home urine pregnancy test only if you miss your period, and do it a few days after your expected period that is missed. Obviously, if your period comes, then no test is necessary. Since a blood pregnancy test still needs about 7-12 days after conception before it is positive, there is not much advantage to aiming to take one, especially given the low chance that conception occurred.

I hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer any follow up regarding this query. Once you are satisfied with all my answer, please accept it.

Best regards,
Dr. Schwartz