Unprotected sex, post periods, without birth control, ECP to be taken as precaution ?

hi my name is Candace. I had unprotected sex after my period ( which was monday) without any birthcontrol ( i left it at home) and I was wondering if I should get a morning after pill or just start my birth control tomorrow?
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Teen Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Mitaly 50 minutes later

Thanks for your query

Unprotected intercourse after the periods and nearing ovulation can cause pregnancy. Morning after pill is effective in preventing pregnancy only if taken within 72 hours of intercourse so if it is less than 72 hours you may take it.

Regarding birth control pills, they are effective in pregnancy prevention only if taken regularly without missing a single pill. This doesn't change the current risk of conception now.

You may discuss with your gynecologist regarding the right birth control pill use.

Hope I have answered your query.I will be available to answer your follow up query.