Unprotected sex, missed the birth control pills. Advice on emergency contraception methods?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
My 100 pound, 22 year old girlfriend missed the first 3 days of the pill (started on day 4). She has been on it for 3 days now and we just had sex. Should she consider taking Plan B and then go back to taking the pill as scheduled? Or am I overreacting? Thanks.
Posted Wed, 2 May 2012 in Birth Control
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 15 minutes later
Hello .
According to your data , you have had sex during the safe period(post menses) of the cycle and chances of pregnancy are very less as ovulation has not occurred yet.she cannot be considered protected by the pill as its been just started.
As such there isnt a necessity for her to take emergency contraception and she can continue her contraceptive pills but at the same time there is a remote possibility of pregnancy.
So if you want to be absolutely sure and take no chance , its best if she takes the plan B this time and then go back to the combined contraceptive pills as per schedule.
No you aren't overreacting, its better to be safe than sorry.
Hope I have answered your query.
Follow-up: Unprotected sex, missed the birth control pills. Advice on emergency contraception methods? 9 minutes later
Thank you Dr. XXXXXXX I appreciate your time.

My girlfriend just wants me to add that her last period was a light period and started on Thursday, Dec 1st and lasted for two days. Does this change your answer at all?
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 24 minutes later
Thanks for the follow up.
I would suggest that makes it all the more necessary to take Plan B since chances of ovulation are more.
My reply will remain the same, take an emergency contraceptive within 72 hours of intercourse.
Hope this answers your query.
Please press the accept button if you have no further queries.