Unprotected sex led to periodic prickling sensation on testicles, stool extremely loose. Is this HIV symptom?

Dermatologist
Question
Hi.
I had sex with a male 'escort' 8 days ago and when we finished I found that the condom had come off. Assuming that it came off early on during intercourse, I guess it amounted to about 15 minutes of unprotected sex. Loads of lube was used to minimize any blood contact from tearing but I'm now panicing a bit. 2 days ago (6 days after the sex) I noticed a slight, periodic prickling sensation on my testicles and an equally slight, periodic 'twinge' at the end of my penis. These symptoms have persisted. I've looked for any evidence of crabs but cannot see anything and I understand that the irritation they cause is usually much more severe anyway. Additionally, I've just been to the toilet and my faeces was extremely loose, verging on diarrhoea (could this be due to the stress I've been under for the last few days?). I have absolutely no other symptoms such as tiredness, feeling 'fluey', swollen glands etc but am still wondering if this could be the 'acute' stage of HIV. Please give me your opinion. And is there any type of test available where I won't have to wait another 7 weeks before I can take it and get a reliable result?
Many Thanks
Posted Thu, 26 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS
Follow-up: Unprotected sex led to periodic prickling sensation on testicles, stool extremely loose. Is this HIV symptom? 5 hours later
P.S.
Forgot to mention that I was the 'insertive' partner during the sex and not the 'receptive' one. Would this improve my chances of not having become infected?
Follow-up: Unprotected sex led to periodic prickling sensation on testicles, stool extremely loose. Is this HIV symptom? 16 hours later
The right side of my mouth has now become a little tender and hurts slightly when I drink something hot indicating the possibility of something like an ulcer. Another (admittedly peripheral) symptom associated with 'acute' HIV or am I creating my own symptoms through stress and anxiety? No more loose stool although I am breaking wind quite a bit.

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 4 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for the detailed history.

I think you are more than worried than the actual course of events. You have a surplus amount of anxiety and stress at this time. The amount of mental trauma that you are undergoing through should be answered first than the actual incident. Try to stay calm till the time there is proof / evidence of infection.

Regarding the symptoms that you explain these are not specific to HIV. They can occur in any viral infection and they are perceived more by the brain when you have fear about HIV.

The best next step / actionable item is to reach a counsellor and get your questions answered.

HIV is an infection that can transmit from all body fluids and hence if there was a contact with the rectal mucosa and your genitals. The chances of spread of HIV are more due to ano-rectal sex as it was in your case. Yes, the insertive transmission has lesser chances of transmission than the receptive one. The chances increase if there is mucosal laceration.

A PCR test i.e viral load can be done in initial days to detect any transmission if it has taken place. You can take this after 10 days of incident. It can detect the HIV virus, though not the standard way. The ELISA test (a sensitive one) detects the antibodies after 4 weeks after the incident.

Also a post exposure prophylaxis of anti- retroviral drugs is also available in case of high risk behaviour. You can speak to your local doctor about them.

The symptoms of viremia vary from person to person and going by your symptoms alone it is difficult to stamp that you are suffering from the same.

Hope I answered all your questions.

Dr.Rohit Batra, MD

Follow-up: Unprotected sex led to periodic prickling sensation on testicles, stool extremely loose. Is this HIV symptom? 1 hour later
Hi.
Thanks for the information.
So do you think the semi-diarrhoea (it's only happened the once) and the slight ulcer could be the result of my stressful state of mind alone?
How likely is it I would be displaying symptoms after just 8 days anyway? (I keep seeing a period of 2 to 4 weeks mentioned as the usual time symptoms take to show).
Please can you tell me where I can get the PCR test done (I don't remeber ever seeing a reference to it through any of the usual channels).
Many thanks for your time.

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 2 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thank you for the follow up.

Most likely the symptoms as well as their duration seems very unlikely to be related to HIV infection. The anxiety and stress attached to mere thought of the infection is taking a toll here in your case.
PCR is a highly specialised test and is not available everywhere however most of the labs do have an arrangement with a reference lab. from where they get the samples investigated.
Also a signed consent is taken from the patient before performing the test and its advisable to get it prescribed by the treating doctor.

Dr. Rohit Batra

Follow-up: Unprotected sex led to periodic prickling sensation on testicles, stool extremely loose. Is this HIV symptom? 15 hours later
Thanks.
And my final follow up (I'm allowed 2 apparently).
Do the ulcers associated with acute HIV usually appear in multiples rather than just one?(mine is just a single one).
In the case of the diarrhoea associated with acute HIV would it normally mean running backwards and forwards to the toilet for several days?(my semi- diarrhoea happened just the once and then when I went again 48 hours later it was nicely solid).
I take it that showing symptoms in just 8 days is unlikely?
And finally, as there is no cure for HIV can you tell me what the post-exposure prophylaxis of anti-retroviral drugs would actually achieve and what the 'window' is for taking it? Also would I be able to get it from my Sexual Health Clinic?
Many Thanks

Answered by Dr. Rohit Batra 21 hours later
Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for reverting!
HIV can have a varied presentation and does not always present with the symptoms publicized in different forums.
Ulcers can also occur as a result of sexually transmitted diseases or STDs. In HIV positive patients, STDs present in a florid pattern and the picture can be widespread. A single ulcer could be the presentation of an STD like Chancre, Chancroid etc. However, on its own the HIV very rarely causes an ulcer.
HIV usually causes diarrhoea over a long period of time and a single episode of diarrhoea can’t be correlated with HIV.

In HIV infections, symptoms may occur as early as 1 week but this is a very infrequent presentation.
Post exposure prophylaxis in such cases prevents exposed people from becoming HIV positive. These drugs should be taken within 72 hours of exposure. This prophylactic regimen comprises of retroviral drugs which stop viral replication and minimise the damage caused by the virus.
A specialised STD centre would definitely have a proper investigative set up as well as drug dispensing mechanism for an unprotected high risk sexual encounter.

Dr.Rohit Batra

Thanks.
I have an appointment today with an HIV Counsellor today.

Dear XXXXXXX

Thanks for following up.

It’s always better to visit a specialist on time. Even if there is a remote chance that you might have contacted some STD , such an appointment will lay all your apprehensions at bay and you could pay attention to your routine work. Please go on with the appointment as planned.

Hope I have been helpful to you.

Wish you good health.

Dr.Rohit Batra