Unprotected sex led to bloating, constipation and light bleeding with cramps. Why are my breasts tender? Pregnant?

At the beginning of May I had unprotected sex a number of times. About 10 days ago I started to feel really queasy every day, bloated, very consitpated but also started bleeding lightly, which has been on off, with cramps on and off. About three days ago the bleeding got pretty heavier and red and (about the same as a usual period and cramps as mine are usually heavy), although my period wouldnt be due for another few days still. About four days ago my breasts got extremlely tender, with shooting pains at night (I have never experienced this before) and large blue veins pronounced the whole length from nipple to chest. I have also felt teary and emotional, and just feel like I am pregnant, so did a test this morning which came up negative. Im confused as although it seems I have my period, I have never had sickness, consipation and breast tenderness like this before and bleeding for now 10 days. Do you think I was/ could be pregnant? What is an alternative explanation? thank you
Posted Sun, 17 Jun 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Rhea Chanda 1 hour later
The first explanation would be pregnancy but if your test is negative then that can be safely ruled out.Next would be the fact that you are having your normal period even if its few days early that expected. The symptoms of pre menstrual syndrome can be very similar to pregnancy.The symptoms that you are having could very well be that pre menstrual syndrome.If you are concerned that you may have been pregnant the the urine pregnancy test should have been positive,even faintly so. I suggest that you do another test and thats negative again then you neednt be concerned about pregnancy.If your hevay bleeding continues then further tests including an ultrasound has to be done to rule out hormonal imbalance and uterine pathology.You can take tablet ethamsylate/tranexemic acid to control the bleeding. Just in case your pregnancy test is positive then you need an urgent ultrasound.