Unprotected sex, just before took unwanted 72. Get pregnant?

Question
i had unwanted 72 at around 10 pm and i just had sex again.... can i get pragnant?
Posted Tue, 8 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Follow-up: Unprotected sex, just before took unwanted 72. Get pregnant? 4 minutes later
i had sex at 8pm in d evening and i had unwanted 72 at around 10 pm .. and again i had sex at 2am in d morning on the same day! doi need to have another unwanted 72?
Follow-up: Unprotected sex, just before took unwanted 72. Get pregnant? 3 minutes later

Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 26 minutes later
Hello XXXXXXX and thanks for your query.

I shall make an effort to provide you with good professional recommendations specific to your questions.

The pill "unwanted 72" is to be taken within 72 hours of the first intercourse episode. It is not necessary to repeat the pill even if you have had another intercourse within the 72 hours period.

The success rate reported in studies with this method is 91-92%, that is chance of not getting pregnant.

Yet again, I duly appreciate your query to me, I do hope that you have found something useful to help you and I shall be glad to answer any further apprehensions.

Sincerely,

Follow-up: Unprotected sex, just before took unwanted 72. Get pregnant? 7 hours later
so i dont need to take another unwanted 72 even if i had sex 3hrs after having d pill?
Follow-up: Unprotected sex, just before took unwanted 72. Get pregnant? 2 hours later
so i dont need to take another unwanted 72 even if i had unprotected sex 3hrs after having d pill?

Answered by Dr. Sujeet N Charugulla 17 hours later
Thanks for the reply.

If you had another unprotected episode after taking the i-pill (after 3 hrs in your case) then - I would advise you to repeat the emergency contraceptive pill again, within 72 hours of this episode - as this act is outside the prior 72 hour period of intake of the first pill.

But, regular intake in one period is not advisable as it may lead to nausea, vomiting, irregular periods etc.

A regular method of contraception should be sought if you have regular sex. This emergency pill method is only for one or two isolated unexpected episodes. And not a regular method of contraception.

Sincerely,