Unprotected sex, itchy skin, abdominal pain, dysentry, sore throat, vaginal bacterial infection, flu. HIV negative. Weak immune system?

i resently had unprotected sex and am worried about exposure to hiv. i had an early detection test done (hiv dna by pcr) 1 month after possible exposure and everything came back negative. but i have read stories about this test having false negatives. i guess i am wondering what the percentage of this happening is and if the test was done too early to detect the virus. i cant stop worrying! i have had flu like symptoms that started about a month later, itchy skin, abdominal pains, runny stool, sore throat, and a vaginal bacterial infection that i was treated for and came back a month later and the doctor said it could be from a weakened immune system.
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in Skin Hair and Nails
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 8 hours later

Thanks for you query.

You must understand that the risk is possible only if the partner has HIV.
In case if you do not know about the partner status you may to wait for three months
there are no diagnostic tests in the window period.
There are very few tests which are only available in US but are not put to use across the world as it is still in the infant stage.
False negatives are uncommon and false positives may also occur sometimes, that is why even if the test is positive it is recommended to get repeated in another lab or to go in for western blot test for confirmation.
So you need not worry about these. Best thing is to repeat after three months and in future to have always protected sex

PVS Prasad
Follow-up: Unprotected sex, itchy skin, abdominal pain, dysentry, sore throat, vaginal bacterial infection, flu. HIV negative. Weak immune system? 4 hours later
i know that it is necassary to have the Western Blot done at 3 months but I would just like a little peace of mind until then. i just want to know how malethe PCR test is so that I may worry a little less until the 3 month test. The possible exposure happened Sep. 22 so i wont be able to get the Western Blot until Dec. 22 that is why I am so worried. I would really like to ask my partner about his status but we aren't very close and I am very scared that he will act offinsively and tell others. do you have any suggestions on how I might go about asking him?
Answered by Dr. P V S Prasad 19 hours later
Hello again XXXXXXX

Thank you for the follow up.

I do uderstand that it is a real tricky situation to ask your partner.

But you can believe the first PCR and have a peaceful sleep.

PCR is a pretty accurate test, if this test is negative, it is highly unlikely that you might be infected. So relax and have a nice life.

You can get the western blot done after 3 months.

Prasad PVS