Ask a Urologist   »  

Unprotected sex, itching in penis, stinging sensation, skin irritation, fungal infection

Question
Hi I had unprotected sex 4 days ago and my penis has started to itch and is stinging a little at the end of my penis can you help
Posted Mon, 30 Apr 2012 in Penis Problems

Answered by Dr. Vidya Muralidhar 1 hour later

There are few things I would like to know in order to help you better:
1) Is there any discharge from the site?
2) Do you notice any pain or redness in the affected area?

Sexually transmitted infections such as syphilis, chancroid, lymphogranuloma venerum have their own characteristic symptoms the chief of which are development of painful ulcers on the penis, discharge from the site, and enlarged lymph nodes. As you only report having a stinging sensation and itch, it looks more like skin irritation or a fungal skin infection.

I would recommend trying the following for a few days:
1) Wash your genital regularly with soap and water.
2) Use loose fitted cotton undergarments
3) Use condoms during intercourse
4) If it is a fungal infection, an anti-fungal powder available over-the-counter would help.

If it does not get better in a few days, get it examined by a physician as prescription medications maybe required.

Hope I have answered your query adequately. I will be available for follow up queries.