Unprotected sex, emotional, headaches. Pregnant?

i am 23 years old and my husband and i had unprotected sex april 18th, i recently have been very emotional, cranky, my boobs are sore, and having headaches. could i be pregnant?
Posted Wed, 25 Apr 2012 in Early Pregnancy Signs and Symptoms
Answered by Dr. Prasad 3 hours later

Unprotected sexual intercourse always carries a chance of pregnancy . No doctors will be able to predict the results and always rely on tests to confirm or refute pregnancy out.

In this context, yes, I agree that you have symptoms suggesting probably pregnancy, but it is too early to consider pregnancy yet. You will need to wait till the end of your menstrual cycle. If menstrual periods occur normally, then pregnancy is almost ruled out completely. On the other hand, if periods occur abnormally (reduced flow, missing period, home pregnancy test / Blood HCG test is entailed.

I do understand that this might not be the exact answer which you were looking for; but as mentioned in the beginning of my answer, I am in no position to give you a clear percent of chances. I can be a little more specific here, if you can answer my below questions

1. Were your periods regular in the past or otherwise?
2. Are you on family planning methods - you have reported that sexual intercourse was not protected, but I wish to know if you practiced other contraception such as birth pills?
3. I wish to know if you had stopped family planning methods recently. If yes when did you stop it?
4. When was your last menstrual period?
5. When is your next period expected to happen or what is the length (in days) of your complete menstrual cycle?

Answers to these questions can help me classify/quantify your chances of getting pregnant.

Awaiting your answers to provide you with better information.

Follow-up: Unprotected sex, emotional, headaches. Pregnant? 16 hours later
my menstrual cycle really isnt regular, they go any where from 33 days to 27 days. we were using protection but a few times we have gotten in the mood and totally forgot until after. my last period was april 19th, i know it really isnt possible to get pregnant the day before your period, but also that you can get pregnant any time of the month. i usually start my cycle anywhere from the 14th to the 21st. i have had a lot of lower back pain as well.
Answered by Dr. Prasad 14 hours later
Hi again,

Thanks for following up.

If your last period was a day before sexual intercourse, the chance that you could be pregnant is very, very unlikely. I would say it is less than 1%.

So you need not worry about pregnancy. Wait till you get your periods. If you don't occur by the end of this month, get the pregnancy test done by simple home pregnancy kit. The test will rule out pregnancy.

The symptoms you have reported are found due to hormonal imbalance (progesterone imbalance). Apart from pregnancy such disturbances have been reported due to stress factors and many other factors too. I presume stress could be the reason for these symptoms and NOT pregnancy.

Hope my answer is reassuring to you.

If you find my answer helpful and reassuring, then request you to accept it.

Wish you good health!!!