Unprotected sex, delayed periods. Taken ipill after sex. Pregnancy?

Pediatrician, Infectious Diseases
i am 27 yrs old. Me and my husband had unprotected sex on 21st of dec ans as we are not ready for a baby yet so i took an i pill on 22nd(with 24 hrs). My next period date was yesterday. and my periods are kind of regular.Do we need to see a doctor???
Posted Sun, 15 Apr 2012 in Women's Health
Answered by Dr. Hema Yadav 6 hours later
Sometimes I pill does cause irregularities in your current cycle as after all its an hormonal pill .
So one may expect such delays.You can do a urine pregnancy test by any of the kits available at the chemist and if it's positive then consult your gynaecologist for further management.
If negative you can wait for another week for your periods and most likely it wil come and relieve your doubts.But in case it doesn't come for another ten days even with a negative result do consult your doctor.
Please do not worry as stress itself can cause such delay.
Hope I have answered your query.