Unprotected sex before surgical abortion. Is it possible to ovulate immediately after abortion? Chances of pregnancy?

Hi I am a 20 year old female. I had a surgical abortion on Friday. The Tuesday before my boyfriend had unprotected sex twice. It was 3 days prior to the procedure. My questions are the following. 1-is it possible for me to get repregnant after the abortion from the sperm that was left 3 days prior to the surgical abortion? 2-is it even possible to ovulate within 2-4 days after a termination of pregnancy like that? Doesn't it take atleast 7-10dayside to release an egg? 3-do you think I'm just being extra paranoid and stressed and I am ok to forget about this? Thanks
Posted Tue, 24 Apr 2012 in Abortion and Stillbirth
Answered by Dr. Radhika 14 minutes later

You had unprotected sex 3 days prior to having an abortion. Your medical termination of pregnancy was done on Friday.

1. Sperm does have the capacity to stay viable in the female body for 7 to 9 days, but since you were already pregnant you were not ovulating. That means it is unlikely, since your body's hormonal changes do not tend to make this possible, you are already pregnant, you cannot conceive again.

2. After termination of pregnancy it takes at least 2 weeks for you to start ovulating.

3. You are not being paranoid; in fact you have asked a very good question. Do not worry. You are unlikely to be pregnant, if in doubt you can do a urine pregnancy test if you missed your subsequent period.

It is always better to use protection, repeated abortions are not good.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries.

Wish you good health.