Unprotected sex and slight bleeding. Contraceptive pill taken. Any chances of pregnancy?

Question
Hi Doctor, I am a healthy man of 25 years of age. I had unprotected sex with a woman of 24 years of age who was in the 2nd day of her periods. This was last wednesday i.e. on the 22nd of February 2011. She took an ipill within 24 hours of the time we had sex.
Its been a week since then and she has had no trouble in terms of fever etc. She just had some slight bleeding yesterday which could have been due to ovulation.
Are there any chances of pregnancy?
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 7 hours later
Hello

Thanks for posting the query

The chances of pregnancy are minimal

Ovulation occurs in mid cycle not on the second day of menstruation

If she has taken i pill then chances become almost nill

Any further query is most welcome

Follow-up: Unprotected sex and slight bleeding. Contraceptive pill taken. Any chances of pregnancy? 7 days later
Hi Doctor,

We had unprotected sex again on the 10th day of her cycle.
And although we used the withdrawal method, just to take precaution, she took an ipill within 12 hours (this was the second ipill in her cycle this month).
This was on Sunday, the 4th of March (11th day of the cycle).
Today is the 8th of March (15th day of her cycle)
She experienced stomach cramps and back pains and slight thigh pains for the first two days after taking the ipill following which the stomach cramps ceased. The back pain, though, is still there. She says she feels as if she is going to get her period.
Everything else is normal. As in, she doesn't have any nausea, vomiting, fever, etc.

Could you please advise whether these are side-effects of taking the ipill or something else?

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 29 minutes later
Hello

As she had last menstrual period on 22nd of Feb so she is going to have her next cycle around 22nd of March.

As she has taken I pill so she will be protected for pregnancy but it is not necessary that she will get periods just now, she will be getting them according to her menstrual cycle.

Stomach cramps can be due to pills as she has taken twice the tablet in this month.

There is no need to worry. She can take one Tablet Dicyclomine or meftal spas after food whenever necessary for the cramps. It is a prescription based medicine I suggest to consult a local doctor for the same.

Just wait for her normal cycles, do not be anxious.

Take care , further query is most welcome

Follow-up: Unprotected sex and slight bleeding. Contraceptive pill taken. Any chances of pregnancy? 2 days later
Thank you for the reply doctor.

Today is the 10th of March (17th day of her cycle) and her period was due around the 22nd of March.
And she got her period today (11-12 days early).

To reiterate, it is the 6th day after she took the second ipill this month, as explained in the previous questions.

Is this normal?
Do we still have to wait for the 22nd for her normal period to come or will her cycle now be based on the 17th?
Now that she has got her period, it means, she isn't pregnant , right?

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 10 minutes later

Welcome back

Yes, she is not pregnant.

Her cycle will be counted from the 10th March, the day she had her period. The early period occurred due to the two doses of an emergency contraception.

There is nothing to worry.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.
If all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Take care and Regards

Follow-up: Unprotected sex and slight bleeding. Contraceptive pill taken. Any chances of pregnancy? 1 hour later
Thank you, Doctor.
Appreciate the quick reply and solution.

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 25 hours later
You are welcome.