Unprotected sex. Taken unwanted 72 pill. Does this pill work if taken before sex?

DOCTOR OF THE MONTH - May 2013
May 2013
Question
Please resolve my query:
I had unprotected sex and after 10 hour i have taken unwanted 72 pill.
And after taking unwanted 72 pill i again had unprotected sex after 16 hour from taking this pill..
This time sex was done after taking pill.Am i safe now??..do i get pregnent as pill was taken before unprotected sex???Is this pill work if taken before sex???
Do i need to again take this unwanted 72 pill.

Sex
Posted Sun, 24 Jun 2012 in Women's Health

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 2 hours later
hi Grv XXXXXXX
thanks for the query.

- the unwanted 72 pill can be taken within 72 hours of intercourse and it will give protection.
so you are protected for the first act, as you took pill within 10 hours of the act.

but this pill said to give complete protection for single act, and as there is delay of 16 hours from taking the pill to intercourse, you better take one more pill.

in one cycle more than one pill can be taken.

but please remember that i pill is emergency contraceptive pill only and it should not be used as regular contraceptive method.

it can cause side effects like nausea, menstrual irregularities etc with repeated use.

so you better choose some other regular contraceptive method in future.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.

Follow-up: Unprotected sex. Taken unwanted 72 pill. Does this pill work if taken before sex? 54 minutes later
Thanks for your reply...
But total time preiod is still not more than 48 hour.
I am very much afraid as i am facing stomach ache and body pain.

Taking unwanted 72 second time will be harmful.???
Follow-up: Unprotected sex. Taken unwanted 72 pill. Does this pill work if taken before sex? 11 minutes later
Again thanks.. I have also recieve below reply also:

( Unwanted 72 prevents ovulation or if taken after ovulation prevents transport of sperm and egg. If you have taken the pill within 24 hours of unprotected sex, even if you have taken it prior to having sex, you are protected against the pregnancy. Please do not worry. You need not repeat the dose.)

Please advise i am really worried..

Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 3 hours later
hi Grv XXXXXXX

though it is said that pill give protection up to 24 hours,

I told you to take the pill because,

-Effectiveness of emergency contraception is highest when taken within 12 hours of intercourse and declines over time.

Reference: WWW.WWWW.WW
- there is 1% of failure rate of unwanted 72.

- normally time gap will be said as an average which may vary in hours.

The side effects of the pill are nausea, abdominal pain, fatigue etc, but these will resolve within 24 hours.

-So if you are afraid of side effects and as there is minimal chance of pregnancy you can avoid taking the pill,

-If you don’t want to take that minimal risk also better to take the pill, and as soon as possible shift to regular contraceptive method.

Wish you Good Health, If you are satisfied with my response please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.

Follow-up: Unprotected sex. Taken unwanted 72 pill. Does this pill work if taken before sex? 19 hours later

Thanks for reply.. By taking pill Is there is change in regular period..?? If yes then for how many month this problem will be there.?? in future is there harm in my body for getting pregnent..

hi XXXXXXX

unwanted 72 pill can cause irregular periods sometimes, like if the pill is taken before ovulation there is a chance of early onset of menstruation and if taken after ovulation the periods may get delayed.

normally irregularity is seen in the very next cycle and further cycles will be normal usually, but sometimes irregularity may extend to next few cycles also.

with taking one or two pills normally fertility will not get affected. But repeated use is not recommended better to shift to another regular contraceptive method.

take care.