Unprotected sex. Taken birth control. Will the bith control pill be active and what are the chances of pregnancy?

I had unprotected sex with my girlfriend on Sunday 4/22/12 around 5pm. She has been taking birth control for 2 months. She told me that she forgot to take the pill that sunday night, but she took a pill the night before. I did not ejaculate inside here, i pulled out. My question is, is the birth control hormone still active in her body even though she did not take the pill. (She did take a birth control pill on Monday). Does birth control only work for the day that she took it? How long does it take if she forgot to take a pill for the hormones to wear off? All im asking is what is the chances of her being pregnant? He last period was April 17th
Posted Mon, 21 May 2012 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Pavan Kumar Gupta 26 minutes later
Hello and thanks for the query.
Most of the time, using contraception correctly should prevent pregnancy. Birth control pills, for example, are between 95 percent and 99 percent effective. But if you are not careful, it is still possible to get pregnant while using hormonal contraceptives or other forms of birth control.
It actually DOES matter when you take your birth control pills. You must take the pill at the SAME time EVERY day. The reason is that when you take your pill you are then putting the hormones in your body that prevent pregnancy. When you take the pill that day the levels of those hormones start out consistant and if you take your pill the same time everyday then there are no ups and downs of those hormone levels. If you forget to take your pill one day or wait past your usual time by even a few hours, those hormone levels will drop and could potentially cause you to ovulate (release an egg)which in turn if you decide to have sexual intercourse during that time you could become pregnant. Even if you forget to take it and remember a couple of hours later or even many hours later, you should still continue to take it. Just make sure that you are very careful when you have sex and keep in mind that by forgetting to take them at a set time or forgetting to take them at all, you are putting yourself at risk for pregnancy.
So,although the chances of pregnancy are very low,it can still happen.
I hope to have answered your query however you can revert to me for any further query.
Thanks and best of luck.