Unprotected sex. How to find out pregnancy? What are the symptoms?

Question
PregnancyOkay I am 17 fixin to be 18, I am a girl, I am 4'11", and I weigh about 150. I am not currently taking any meds. But me and my boyfriend had unproteced about 6 days ago is their any way I could find out now if I am pregnant? And would I have any type of symptoms this soon?
Posted Thu, 12 Apr 2012 in Pregnancy

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 29 minutes later
Hello

Thanks for the query

I would like to know the date of your last menstrual period

You can wait for the next periods , if you miss them then you can go for the pregnancy test in urine

If you want to know before you miss your periods then it takes at least 11 days to see the positive results in the blood by HcG hormones.

Regarding symptoms they vary from patient to patient , in some cases there can be nausea , changes in breast etc

Best wishes

Any further query is most welcome

Follow-up: Unprotected sex. How to find out pregnancy? What are the symptoms? 25 minutes later
I think it was the 6th of feburary. Im not completely sure. How long before you can tell with a home test? And thanks for the answers.

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 3 hours later

Thanks again.

You should wait till 8th march. Get the home pregnancy test if you miss your period.

Hope this answers your query. If you have any more queries, I am available to answer them. And if all your queries are answered, please close this discussion.

Wish you good health.

Follow-up: Unprotected sex. How to find out pregnancy? What are the symptoms? 19 hours later
Okay thanks and I have one more question is their a good possabilty that I am? Like was it around the time I was ovulating?

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 35 minutes later
Hello

Yes the chances of conception are more during mid cycle

Follow-up: Unprotected sex. How to find out pregnancy? What are the symptoms? 34 minutes later
And was that during my mid cycle? and does the guy have to be all the way inside for you to get pregnant?

Answered by Dr. Minoo Bhagia 2 hours later
Hello and thanks again,

The ovulation occurs in the mid cycle; means if the average cycle is of 28 days then it will occur on 14th day. The life span of egg is 24 - 48 hrs and that of sperm is 5-7 days. Hence the chances of pregnancy are more between 11th to 16th day of the cycle (first day of period is counted as day 1). One week before and after is called safe period depending upon the duration of cycle.

The ovulation period can vary from patient to patient. We can calculate the days ovulation and by other means such as recording cervical mucous, mid ovulation pain, etc. Now a day’s ovulation testing kits are also available in the market which give instant results and are cost effective, simple to perform at home.

Presuming you had your last periods on 6th February, and your average menstrual cycle is of 28 days, you are likely to be ovulation (mid cycle) on 18th February to 22nd February.

It is necessary for sperm to be anywhere in the vagina so that it can travel upwards: not necessary that it needs to be XXXXXXX inside.

Hope this answers your query. Let me know if you have any more concerns.
If all your queries have been answered, please close this discussion.