Unprotected sex. Elisa test negative after 3 months. Is it accurate?

Question
Hi ...I had a protected sexual encounter with an unknown girl in China almost year & a half before...I am from India....it was also a unprotected oral sex...
after that i had a negative hiv elisa at 3 months time frame..can it be taken a conclusive
Posted Sun, 29 Apr 2012 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Radhika 2 hours later

You have had sexual intercourse with an unknown lady in China one and half yrs ago. It is good to hear that your ELISA test is negative.

ELISA is a highly sensitive test and can detect very low concentrations of anti-HIV antibodies. These tests can however be less specific and can lead to false positive results. Thus, a positive screening test should always be validated with a confirmatory test.

According to the CDC (Centers for Disease Control and Prevention), ELISA (Enzyme-linked immunosorbent assay) test with a confirmatory test such as the Western blot or immunoflorocent assay test is 99 percent accurate.

The Western blot is the most common confirmatory test for HIV and it identifies the anti-HIV antibodies based on their molecular weight. The test is usually performed three to five weeks after the initial exposure, this is the time required for the anti-HIV antibodies to appear in the patient's blood.

Since you have done the ELISA test, you can confirm with the western blot test too.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available for follow up queries. Please accept my answer in case you have no follow up queries.

Regards.

Follow-up: Unprotected sex. Elisa test negative after 3 months. Is it accurate? 14 hours later
I also had a western blot test as recommended by my doctor last week ( almost a year and a half later than the exposure) it came back negative too..

Can I take my test result as finally negative and move on..

Answered by Dr. Radhika 57 minutes later

Thanks for the follow up.

If you have done both the tests and they are negative, there is no need to do further tests.

Next time you have to be careful and use contraceptives to prevent such conditions.

Regards.