Unprotected hand-job, later sore throat. Risk of HIV? Testing needed?

Question
I had a unprotected handjob from a female of unknown status three weeks back.No other exposure to her genitals.Today I am having a sore throat.Does this encounter have any HIV risk/ I did not observe any blood on her hand or on my penis.Do I need to do testing? Can I have sexwith my wife?
Posted Sun, 2 Jun 2013 in HIV and AIDS

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 17 minutes later

For transmission of HIV, the modes of transmission are unprotected sexual intercourse with infected person, using needles or syringes which have been used by an infected person , blood transfusion of infected person or from mother to fetus. Basically it is blood to blood transmission and virus gets transmitted only when the other person has some cuts or bleeding sores on her hands which come in contact with blood or fresh secretions of the other individual.

If your partner did not have any sores on her hands and you did not have any sores on your penis then HIV transmission cannot occur. Mutual masturbation without any unprotected intercourse carries the least risk of HIV transmission.

You can have intercourse with your wife but do ensure to avoid having any such future encounters with others as skin to skin contact may transmit HPV viral wart virus or herpes viruses.

Hope this answers your query. If you have additional questions or follow up queries then please do not hesitate in writing to us. I will be happy to answer your queries.

Follow-up: Unprotected hand-job, later sore throat. Risk of HIV? Testing needed? 29 minutes later
Do I need to do the test for HIV & when?

Answered by Dr. Jasvinder Singh 24 hours later

Thanks for writing back to me.

Chances of HIV are less and there is no need for its investigations. However for your peace of mind, if you wish you can get HIV testing done. HIV testing is done with a blood test and is done in full confidentiality. The blood is first tested by ELISA test which is a screening test which looks for antibodies in the blood. Then if it is positive then further testing is done.