Unilateral headache, CT and MRI normal. Medications ineffective. Is it serious?

Hey I am XXXXXXX bedi and my age is 19 . I have this problem since 5 yrs and the problem is that I have got unilateral headache sometimes left side and sometimes right side. And the pain sometimes get really severe it starts from the particular side nd goes to ear not properly ear actually near itand then to neack as if a nerve is stretching a lot . I consulted many doctors for this but their prescribed medicines never worked. And I had all scans ct, mri nd mri venogram but reports wre normal. A doctor said that their is swelling in brain's nerves . Some said it is migraine. I am not getting and please help me out. Is it kinda serious let me know if it is?
Posted Fri, 28 Sep 2012 in Headache and Migraines
Answered by Dr. Sudhir 33 minutes later

Thanks for question.

In view of nature of headache, even I would vote in favor of migraine. There are many treatments for migraine and not one treatment suits all.So one has to try multiple treatments, to see what suits you.

Migraine headaches do not usually respond well to OTC analgesics.Medications to treat migraine headaches are either abortive or prophylactics.

During the onset of a headache, some people respond to inhalation of 100% oxygen.Alternative first-line treatment is subcutaneous administration of sumatriptan.

Lidocaine and other topical anesthetics sprayed into the nasal cavity may relieve or stop the pain, normally in a few minutes, but long term use is not suggested due to the side effects and possible damage to the nasal cavities.

Ergot compounds like cafergot have also been effectively used.

Other abortive remedies that work for some include ice, hot showers, cool or lukewarmwater sprayed on the face around the sinus, temple, and ear areas, breathing cold air, application of analgesic balm beneath the nostrils, caffeine, and drinking large amounts of water in the early stages of an attack. Vigorous exercise has been shown in some cases to be very effective in relieving and aborting an acute attack by increasing the levels of oxygen within the body.

Avoid triggers like deprivation of sleep, smoking , alcohol ,bright light , inhalation of strong chemicals etc.

Prophylactic treatment include calcium channel blocker (verapamil),Steroids(prednisolone) ,magnesium sulfate.

Normally with some trial and error both doctor and patient reach most effective treatment in a particular case .

So with help of your doctor you need to try these treatments to find out which one suits you.

Please ask if there are doubts.Regards.