Unexplained purple bruises on the leg, swollen tonsils with white spots, throat pain. History of Vascularitis and thyroid colloidal cyst. What tare the bruises?

May 2013
On Saturday 6/9 I was getting dressed and noticed two symmetrical purple/dark bruise-like spots on outer side of my left leg. They are on the same plain and about a half inch apart. I have not had any injuries, bumps or accidents and did not notice them in the previous days. I would have seen them as I've been doing yoga nearly every day prior to that. They are unexplained and seem to be dissipating a little bit today. They are about the size of a sharpie marker XXXXXXX

Other info to know: I also have a recent history of vascularities - one on vocal fold, and moderate spider veins on upper right thigh. Other recent physical symptoms - very swollen tonsils with large white spots (pain in swallowing water) about 3 weeks ago. No fever, no other symptoms. Swelling & white spots resolved in a few days. I have a thyroid colloid cyst that drs tell me to ignore - however I have pain, tenderness and intermittent neck/throat pain in the area of cyst nearly every month around my menstrual cycle. I am a professional opera singer.

Should I be concerned about these two new bruise-like spots? Should I see my doctor?
Posted Sun, 1 Jul 2012 in Blood Disorders
Answered by Dr. Sree Gouri SR 1 hour later
thanks for the query.

the possible causes of your dark bruise like spots are,

-bruises: can occur because of mild trauma also which we may not notice,
women will be more susceptible to bruises than men.

-purpura: these can occur in chronic inflammatory disease like lupus, as you are having family history this is one possibility.

-sometimes blood clots can also occur with the usage of YAZ pills as it contains drospirenone.

-bruising and spider veins can be seen in hyperthyroidism also.

you watch whether these bruises will subside in two or three days without causing any symptoms,

if they are not subsiding or new spots are appearing better you consult physician and get examined to find out the possible cause and take treatment according to it.

Hope I have answered your query. I will be available to answer your follow up queries. If you are satisfied with all my answer, please rate the answer after closing the discussion.
take care.